07 August 2008

Omar's Travel Impressions: Turkey and Switzerland--an unlikely combination

My uncle has joined blogspot and posted his and my aunts latest adventure:
We checked in and at 6 PM attended the Road Scholar welcome. Our guide was Sami, who talked a lot, said most things two or three times, and only occasionally mispronounced a word. I had a glass of the local wine, which tasted much like ouzo, and gave quite a kick. We socialized with the others (seven other couples); I had brought my book along, but Sami didn’t believe in introductory introductions, let alone name badges, so I put it in my belt. During his talk, Sami explained that no one in Turkey drank the tap water; there were so many chemicals in the water that it tasted very bad. He said there were about 1.25 lira per dollar and that we would need lira to buy water, wine, beer, etc. Liquor and gas were taxed very high; petrol was the most expensive in the world.

No comments: