14 August 2008

One Year

It's our 'anniversary' as we arrived in Cairo one year ago today. But I don't think we're going to stick out another.

A bit of an update: Today I was out washing the previous months accumulation of dirt and dust off the garden furniture with Nabil (our gardener) and Hanan (our cleaning lady) and mentioned that today is our anniversary which they both said "Hababababad". At least Hanan did as she doesn't speak english and it sounded like "hababababad" to me with my keen grasp of Arabic. Nabil, who speaks quite good english said "congratulations" and all that, I wasn't expecting anything more than that really, I was just making my usual noises as we were turning the last months dirt and dust into todays mud. But this evening the doorbell rang as we were finishing dinner and Hanan was at the door, with a cake for us. We were a bit taken aback as it was almost 2000 and she had to have walked home after she finished work at another house she does in the afternoons, fed her family, gone to the baker and walked all the way back to our house with this quite nice cake to congratulate us. We just thought that was nice of her. And it makes me more than a little embarrassed about all the bitching and moaning I do about this place.

No comments: